Monday, January 24, 2011

Cuenca, Ecuador

I'm spending more time than what planned here in Ecuador, but I like it. From Quito I moved to Puyo, a small city in the Eastern side of the country where the Amazonic jungle begins. The only things you can do in Puyo is visiting a small rainforest park, a monkey recovering centre or searching for a shaman to get ayahuaska. As getting ayahuaska needs a 5-day preparation, and I don't have that time to waste, I've chosen for the first two things then I moved away. 10 hours by nightbus later I arrived in Cuenca, considered by many the Ecuador's colonial jewel... First of all, it's unbelievable how many people overestimate the beauty of a place just because they're in holiday mood; so many persons told me that this city is great, something unbelievable, something not to miss at all. Well, I wonder if this people have ever been to Europe (I should say Italy, but I wanna be politically correct), because every stupid city in Europe can be charming as much as Cuenca, or even more. Anyway, for me Cuenca is ok, but nothing more. After all the countries I crossed and the amazing things I've seen, I'm definitely getting hard to please... Personally, I enjoyed much more going to the surrounding indio village of Guacelo (and, of course, enjoying their public markets with all those delicious food which markets always have to offer...) or visiting Ingapirca, the most important Inca site in Ecuador.
Tomorrow I move to the village of Sagaturo, then Peru'.

No comments:

Post a Comment