Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Ushuaia, Tierra del Fuego

Ushuaia, the southernmost city in the world, "the end of the world" as the commercial slogan defines it - a pretty colorful town setted in a bay between mountains and the oceans. It looks much closer to a Norwegian or an Alaskan city than a South America's one. I remember I was freezing under an icy rain in front of the Niagara falls, sheltering myself into an empty deserted house, when I first started thinking to reach South America overland. It seemed to me a crazy idea, almost impossible to realize, something ambitious and dangerous at the same time. Well, I had a very long long way from Usa down to here. Now it's easy to talk about it but the effort I had to put into this thing has been extreme: (many times I was close to quit, totally disappointed by how things were turning, down or simply tired. Travelling alone all across those countries with almost no knowledge of the Spanish language) has been phisically and mentally challenging. I love to say it now I succesfully did it, it's a personal victory for me. Looking back to those crazy days when I was living into the bus stations of North America, from the frozen Montreal in Quebec down to Tierra del Fuego, from New York City to Patagonia, across all the continent, through Mexico, Guatemala, Honduras, Nicaragua, Costarica, Panama, Colombia, Ecuador, Peru', Bolivia, Chile, Argentina... I still can't believe it. Now that the whole thing is over I look back to my steps and I feel extremely proud, with such a huge stock of incredible memories, images, people, flavours, adventures, stories to tell and to share for the rest of my life.
I feel now that the circle opened five years ago in Alaska - hitchiking from the Arctic Circle down to Mexico - has come to the end, maybe the most obvious but even the best one. All the signs are bringing me to that feeling: Ushuaia looks like an Alaskan city; when I was in Alaska was the end of summer/beginning of autumn exactly like it's now here; then it was snowy, rainy and cold, same as the weather which welcomed me while entering Ushuaia. Alaska is still well present in my mind and thoughts, the unforgettable adventures I lived there cannot be described briefly as they changed my mind and life, but that's a different story. The road finishes here, no way to go South any further from Ushuaia. Anyway, it's still not the right time to go back the so called home. My journey goes on, stay tuned.

3 comments:

  1. Back to north? Brazil? or flying to Africa?! I bet anyone who will read this will be extremely curious about it, just as me.

    May the wind blowing always at your back!
    Elettrico

    ReplyDelete
  2. put another poll on the blog!
    give US another chance to choose YOUR direction! :-)
    I want you to cross Africa and lead the rebels in Libya, becoming the new president!!!

    Tonio

    ReplyDelete
  3. the Southern wind is blowing slightly North right now...

    ReplyDelete