Monday, August 16, 2010

Trabzon, Turkey

I arrived in Trabzon two days ago, after a 12-hours night bus from Kapadokia. The city is settled on the shore of Black Sea in the Asian side of Turkey, close to Georgia. The weather is unbelievably hot and the humidity rate makes the air almost unbreathable. Trabzon has been a very powerful city in the past as its location on the seaside made it suitable for commercial exchanges between East and West. Here it's a dıfferent Turkey than the one saw in Istanbul: it's extremely hilly, nobody speaks English at all and I feel I'm one of the few tourists here. I visited the most important sights of the area which includes the beautiful Sumela Monastery, about 50km far from the city, settled in a mountain valley similar to Alpes; the museum of Aya Sofia and the church of Sancta Maria. This one is the only operative Catholic church in Turkey today and the same one where the Italian priest Don Andrea Santoro has been killed in 2006. Honestly, the city of Trabzon didn't ımpress me so much. The highlight is definitely the hotel where I stay: I pay 10 euros per night for a single room, bugs included. The toilet is the most disgusting thing I've ever seen, just a hole in the ground without water... I mean, some plastic bottles full of water outside the door is the only 'manual' flushıng system.

No comments:

Post a Comment