Tuesday, August 31, 2010

The Transiberian railway


What am I doing on Transiberian railway? That`s a good question! Well, the original plan was going to Ekaterinburg, but checking the tickets availability I realized the cheapest ones were all fully booked. In other words, this meant that going to Ekaterinburg by train was much more expensive than flying. But I didn`t want to fly, so I had to take different decisions, and that`s what I did. I got a very cheap ticket in 3rd class, so called platskartny, which allowed me to go from Moscow to Vladivostok along the Transiberian railway. The Transiberian railway is the longest railway in the world and it takes 7 days to reach the Pacific coast. By the way, I decided to get off earlier, in Irkutsk, to explore the Baikal lake, so I spent on train `only` 4 days and 4 nights.


Travelling 4 days into a small, overcrowded, smelly train with other 60 people that don`t speak your language it`s not easy, can be uncomfortable and sometimes boring. It has been a pretty tough but definitely an amzing experience, `cause it gave me the chance to know more about Russian culture and lifestyle. All the people there were really friendly to me, it seemed like they had competitions in feeding and giving me drinks as much as they can! So the language barrier hasn`t been such a huge problem: the biggest problem was trying to tell them to stop filling the glass!

4 comments:

  1. ohh, I`m sooo jealous!!! I always wanted to go with Transiberian railway, maybe someday... who knows (ah, yea, shit know :p )
    Anyway, I hope everything is ok and that you`ll visit Poland some day...
    Gest regards
    Ania

    ReplyDelete
  2. eh eh, l'assenza sul blog era un chiaro indizio che stavi attraversando la Siberia!
    Quanti litri di Vodka si consumano per 100 km?

    Elettrico

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Ania!
    nice to hear you! Everything`s fine here, thankssss! hope for you the same! here in Siberia is already autumn: it`s raining vodka all day long! ahahah
    See you soon in Poland then!
    Ciao!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bravo!Sei un vero grande viaggiatore: se diminuisce l'invidia aumenta l'ammirazione.

    Giovanna

    ReplyDelete