Saturday, August 21, 2010

Volgograd, Russia

After a good 13-hours sleep I see things with different eyes. As I slept on ferry and buses for the last 3 days, I really needed a reasonable rest. I got a room in the suburbs of the city, into a soviet-style block, close to Volga river: that was the only one I found at affordable price, all the others hotels I checked were ridiculously expensive. I`m in Volgograd now, known as former Stalingrad: this is an historical city and the battle fought here has been the turning point of the second world war. Nowadays, on the battlefield there is a huge statue lies at the top of the hill to remember the sacrifice of those soldiers died fighting against Nazis. It was extremely interesting from the historical point of view, very sad from the human one. Anyway, as the weather has been extremely hot `til now, I`m enjoying huge loads of `kvas`, a traditional drink made by bread and sold at almost every corner. But weather is changing quickly, today is windy and is getting colder: this means it`s time to shift to Russian `pivo` (beer)!

No comments:

Post a Comment