Monday, September 27, 2010

The curse of the First Day

After 36 hours by train I finally entered China. Getting to China from Mongolia wasn`t difficult at all, probably the easiest border crossing among the countries I`ve visited in this journey. Crossing a border overland can be a surreal experience: after the stamp you are thrown into a new dimension, a new form of humanity, similar as similar it`s all the world, yet at the same time deeply different. Within few kilometres, all you were used to see seems to be changed.
Borders still exist, despite globalization, despite all.
They`re something real, like real is the "the curse of the first day" for me. The posts below clearly shows how must be there a sort of curse on me the first day I travel to a new foreign country. No exceptions, even today. It`s the first day in Beijing and few hours ago I got out to take some cash with Kaye and Alex (the English couple met in Irkutsk with which I travelled Gobi desert). Later, passing in front of some street-food sellers we decided to have a taste of the Chinese "delicatessen" trying some mistery food: I`ve chosen for a strange soup with dark colour, lot of chili and strange pork chops floating on it... While eating, Kaye said me: "Be careful, there`s a guy standing very close just behind you!". I moved away a little, he was standing still there like an idiot simulating non-chalance. Then he moved away. Funny is what Kaye said me later, reporting that guy while standing behind me, has looked her, pointing his finger to his mouth meaning her to say nothing to me... I wonder why all the population of the Earth is so attracted by my take-me bag. Curse is the only reasonable answer.
Anyway, Italy 1 - China 0. Fuck off: once more.

2 comments:

  1. Teo, ma non è che qualcuno strada facendo ti ha messo un bell'adesivo sulla borsa con scritto "steal me!" ??????
    scherzi a parte, se visiterai il sud della Cina ti suggerisco sicuramente la zona di Yangshuo ma soprattutto le risaie a terrazze di Ping An, vicino a Guilin.
    tra un paio di giorni sarò in Laos e poi Vietnam fino a fine ottobre. Teniamoci in contatto via mail, sarebbe bellissimo se ci si incontrasse!
    la casella mail che utilizzerò è matteo_tonietti@libero.it

    Zài Jièn,
    Tonio

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anna /Poland, PozenOctober 3, 2010 at 7:10 AM

    Hey Matteo,
    I am happy that you got to Chine safe :-).
    I just came back from 5 days horse riding - I have to addmit that it was GREAT ADVANTURE!!!
    I have some thinhgs to tell you in prive (you won't believe it ;-)
    I am sending to all of you (if you read it german-english-italian team) many greets and hugs from UB!
    Take care!

    ReplyDelete