Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Olkhon Island, Siberia

Olkhon island is a wild island in the middle of Baikal lake, one of the main centre of Buryatian shamans. The main village is Kuzhire, and I enjoyed every single minute of the 2 days spent there. What has really impressed me is the spoil beauty of that nature, always divided between steppe and forest. Everything`s there had a true Siberian taste, from the woodden houses to the grey and cloudy weather, from the nature to the face of the people. I`ve reached the island with a very thrilling ride on a small rusty minivan driven by a crazy driver which was pushing to full speed on a wet, gravel and extremely bumpy road. It takes usually 6 hours drive to get to the island, he covered it in just 4. Anyway I`m still alive, thanks God. The island was perfect for outdoor activities so I had long walks and a full day by bike to reach the other side of the island through the Tashkine valley, in company of some European people met there. Was pretty sad to leave such a beautiful place and such nice people, but new adventures are waiting for me now! Let`s go then!

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful, beautiful photos! and very interesting experiences. I think you are a brave and lucky man for living this journey.

    Giovanna

    ReplyDelete