Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Otavalo, Ecuador

After last days' overdose of beaches, sea and sun, I'm finally back to my beloved mountains: I'm in Otavalo, Ecuador, on the Andes! Only the name - Andes - sounds soooooo exciting to me, as it's one of the 2 words which rebound in my mind since years (the other one is Himalaya) and now I'm here, among colorful indios and peaks over 4000 mt! The way to Ecuador has been pretty scary as I've got a night bus from Colombia and the mountain roads has been approached by the driver too fast for my taste: I mean, 90 km/h on a small mountain road with no guardrails and hundred metres precipice on the left side sounds to me too fast for a giant bus... I didn't sleep too much there, too busy in prayers! eheheh Here in Ecuador prices are finally more affordable than Colombia (in Colombia everything was very expensive and transportation was maybe even more than Europe!), so I've got a private tiny room for 7 dollars with bathroom and - music please! - hot water! It was in Mexico the last hot shower I had... after all this time I was almost forgetting how great hot water is!
People is very friendly here, everybody saying hello, everybody smiling. It makes me think about Milano, where people is afflicted by a superiority complex: they think to be the best in the world because rich and stylish, however, social relations are extremely poor, everybody's suspicious, smiles a species extincted. Here they don't drive Porsche but, hey!, who's the real rich one?

1 comment:

  1. wow, Ecuador!
    that'a country I would really like to see in South America, as well as Bolivia. I'm waiting for great pictures and stories from you!

    Tonio

    ReplyDelete