Monday, February 7, 2011

Arequipa, Perù

I'm back to Arequipa from a 2 days trip to Canyon del Colca, which is the deepest canyon in America (more than the Grand Canyon) and the 3rd in the world. Rolling mountains up to 4900m, lamas, alpacas, vigognas, cheap traditional food among locals: I loved it. The weather was unpleasant (like everyday here, regular weather till noon then rain) but the scenery was definitely worthy the effort. I'm talking about effort because sleeping at 3600m with no heater, when rains turning slowly into snow it's not properly a joke... But I don't regret at all, I've been lucky and happy to be there 'cause I've also seen the Andean condor in action, a bird close to extinction, with more than 3 metres' wings and around 12 kilos' weight, which make the Andean condor the heavier flying bastard among the animals. Cool, uh?
Anyway, you gotta know it's pretty funny for me to keep record of the all strange mutations my name has when printed on a bus ticket here in South America: Mateo Doncelli, Matted Donceli, Mattheo Donicelli... Well, today I've got the brand new "Mateo Gonzales" which is my all time favourite. Mmmmh, maybe this is also a sign of fate... Maybe it means that from tomorrow I gotta change my life into a new me, into a new relaxed one, into a Mateo Gonzales? Maybe, why not.
Tomorrow it's my birthday. Will be exactly 6 months I'm on the road. Many memories, places, cities, adventures lived, persons come and gone. The time of my life? I'm celebrating it moving to Puno, on the gentle shores of lake Titicaca.

4 comments:

  1. Buon Compleanno Vendetta! (Gonzales)
    Allora come te la passi?
    Quando i fai un giro anche da queste parti che ti offro una birra e un solo di hit the lights per festeggiare??!!
    Keep going, mate!

    Flipper

    ReplyDelete
  2. grazie mille amigo!
    muy bien aqui! hit the lights? te pensa che me la sono sognata l'altra notte!
    a presto anyway, metal buddy! il mio viaggio ha ormai imboccato il viale del tramonto...
    ciao!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Auguroni Teo Gonzales, detto "el Gonzo" d'ora in poi!
    mi sono commosso leggendo Pantani Vive su quella salita. In effetti sarebbe dovere di ognuno di noi scrivere Pantani Vive su ogni salita che ci capiti di trovare nel mondo!
    Hasta luego, el Gonzo.
    Tonio

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ciao, Complimenti e super Auguri per il tuo Compleanno on the road
    Salutoni da Franco

    ReplyDelete