Friday, February 4, 2011

Machu Picchu, Perù

So now you're expecting from me to write how beautiful, unbelievable and amazing Machu Picchu is... No! I won't write it! I was tempted to write that it's just a stupid bunch of rocks on a stupid hill, but it shouldn't be fair nor true. I'm angry because, yeah, Machu Picchu is nice, and if you're an history junkie it can be awesome, but the problem is that the area is a tourist playground with hords of freaks coming from all over the globe to see the astonishing "lost city". First of all, I'm in Cuzco since 3 days and they charge you even for the air to breath, tourists are treated as cashcows. They can do that, because the average tourist in Machu Picchu is the sort of freaky gringo - the rasta peaceandlove one going up there to feel the energies-of-the-universe and stuff like that - the one who climbs the Wayna Picchu mountain with radio turned on, the one who has previously seen only one mount in his life: his mom's mons pubis... Endless queues at 5am, crying babies, loud people, you don't miss anything up there. Second, everything is awfully expensive, too much. I mean, paying 70 bucks for a 1 hour and half return train ticket to reach it (the Inca trail is closed this time of the year), 55$ as entrance fee, and 8 more dollars if you want the bus to bring you directly in front of the archeological site, sounds to me like an insult to all the poor people I've seen on the streets, those selling rope to earn few cents just to survive... In a country where the average salary income is about 200$ per month, it's crazy paying all those money (money which obviously goes in the pockets of the rich politicians in Lima, not to the population). By the way, the view is pretty cool, but it's definitely overshadowed by the crazyness of mass tourism. My suggestion is: come to Peru', visit Peru', skip Machu Picchu... Let's stop the mass tourism madness! Let's give the Inca's lost city his lost dignity's back! And if you're thinking now, yeah, he's talking about avoiding Machu Picchu but he went to visit it, I reply you that it was a mistake driven by that fuckin' Lonely Planet guidebook... Macchu Picchu is considered in that book as the very souuthern America's highlight and I followed those advices, I was slave of Lonely Planet advices, all the travellers are slave of Lonely Planet advices! All the people I met was following the same route suggested by that stupid book: there is no more creativity in traveling, travels are not anymore a personal decision and way to grow, an exciting way to explore the world and living new adventures. No, it's just a matter of following the path shown by Lonely Planet's authors. Lonely Planet is the teacher who says to all his students where to go and what to do...
Well, it's since a long I'm not student anymore and I've always been the only teacher of myself. So I've thrown that supid guidebook away and I've got my freedom back. Now I'm gonna travel only by the advices of the people I meet on my way.

4 comments:

  1. Good choice! Those books are just good to have maps of the cities and things like that.
    As everywhere in the world, all those famous places suffers those "aberration". Visit quickly, and then run away to the real country and people!

    Hasta luego!
    Elettrico

    ReplyDelete
  2. Teo, cazzo questi sì che sono dei jeans! e pensa che oggi li vendono con l'effetto "usato"...

    Ippe

    ReplyDelete
  3. real "distressed" jeans! quando torno li posso vendere a qualche fighetto modaiolo d Milano per un 150 euro...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Andy you met in San CristobalFebruary 16, 2011 at 9:59 PM

    How can you say, that Lonley Planet is a bad guide?? Remember the indo-villages in San Cristobal :-D
    I hope you are fine, see you soon and be careful during your travel!
    Andy

    ReplyDelete