Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Isla de Ometepe, Nicaragua

I'm back to mainland after a couple of days spent on the beautiful Isla de Ometepe, definitely a great place and an interesting experience to live. First, the way to the island from Granada by ferry was really really crazy, it takes about four hours of travel to get there and everything was fine until sunset even if waters were pretty rough. After sunset things went wrong and wrong. It all began with a child puking, she was the one who opened the show: after few minutes for a curious chain reaction everybody started to puke almost everywhere, on the floor, into thrashbins, into bathrooms, directly in lake... After one hour in a such way I blessed the arrival to the island because I was going to be sick as well. Anyway, the morning after, I rented a truly shitty bike and I cycled all around the southern volcano of the island. In Tikal, my head was roaring with stupid Axl Rose's voice and his "welcome to the jungle" song, now was time for Madonna and "la isla bonita". Yeah, because that island was really a sort of paradise on earth, with small gravel roads, no cars at all, colorful small villages isolated from anything, banana's trees, chicken and pigs roaming free... Well, cycling there for - I guess - about 50 km in one day has been challenging (mainly for my ass), as the roads were in an extremely bad condition (as the bicycle itself), but I will never forget the quiet and the peaceful there. I will also remember all those people living isolated from the so-called civilization, into those houses with no floor, no shoes, no electricity, but friendly and (maybe) happier than we are in our rich countries, while welcoming you with big smiles and the children offering you free fruits like it's used to do with a long time friend.
Different perspectives: that's the real value given by any travel.

No comments:

Post a Comment